Image Courtesy of Verily
By Isa Pardino
Thrifting has become much more popular in the last few years. Not only is thrifting more affordable for people, but it is also better for the environment than buying new, fast fashion that has also become popularized in the last ten years. In fact, according to Goodwill: “Manufacturing, producing, packaging, and distributing new clothing takes a lot of energy and water. Disposing of unwanted clothing also takes a toll on the environment. In the United States, individuals throw out 60 to 80 pounds of textile waste each year.”
If you’re looking for the best thrift stores in the DMV area, look no further.ere is a top five list of thrift stores and goodwills in the area where you can find everything from home decor to electronics as well as clothes and shoes:
- If you’re looking for a funky, cute store that has awesome clothes, you definitely have to pay a visit to Frugalista located on Mt Pleasant St NW. Prices are affordable and they have a variety of products. Frugalista has everything from pre-loved designer purses to mens and womens clothes and shoes.
- Next up we have Martha’s Outfitters located in Logan Circle and Anacostia.They carry men’s and women’s clothing as well as home goods. When you find something great here, you can rest assured that the money you spend is going toward a good cause. Martha’s Table runs food, clothing and education services for underprivileged children and families in the area.
- Coming in at number three is a cherry red shop in Georgetown named Reddz Trading; they also have a less loud location in Bethesda. It is definitely cheaper than the other thrift stores in both Georgetown and Bethesda, though perhaps not as cheap as some of the other stores on this list. The best part about this store is the experience, being in Georgetown is an experience in and of itself, it’s a whole other experience thrifting ther because you’re sure to have some great finds because the thrift store is surrounded by some great shops.
- Next, we have Goodwill of Greater Washington Retail Store located in Arlington, Virginia. This store is full of amazing prices for electronics, clothes, furniatre, and accessories. This Goodwill is one of the best ones in the area as far as inventory goes. I can say from personal experience that their electronics and home goods section is stellar. Flat screen TV’s for just $25?! That’s a great deal!
- Finally, ringing in at number five, is Meeps boutique in Adams Morgan. They specialize in vintage clothing, costumes and accessories. If you’re looking for a fun statement piece to complete an outfit or for a funky piece to complete your closet, Meeps is the perfect place for you.
Overall, there are some great thrift stores in the DMV area, and many more than could make it on this list. Thrifting is a great way to save money and help protect the environment. Thrifting is an activity that is good to do by yourself and clear your mind, it’s also great to do with friends or on a date.